How to Jump Start a Car For Dummies - Car Ran Out of Battery
First, shut off the engine for both cars.
Usage of JumpStart Cable:
- Connect the red connecting wire to the positive terminal of the bad battery.
- Connect the other end of the red jumper to the positive terminal of the booster battery.
- The black wire must first be connected to the negative terminal of the booster battery.
- The other end must be connected to an unpainted area of the vehicle frame in the vehicle's engine compartment with no battery.
- Start the engine of the working vehicle.
- Make sure the wires are not getting anywhere near the fan or fan belt.
- Do not start the engine of the broken vehicle until the engine of the working car has started. When the car starts, disconnect the cables in the reverse order of their connection.
Jump Start: Don't Forget 3 Things
- The batteries in both vehicles must be of the same voltage level. Be sure to check the label. DO NOT attempt to boost a car with a standard 12V electrical system from a truck with a 24V electrical system or vice versa.
- The connecting cables must be connected in the correct order.
- The engine of the running vehicle must be started before the car with no battery. This prevents the working battery from being discharged.
Important: You should follow the vehicle manufacturer's advice in the driver's handbook. This should be used if the manufacturer provides a dedicated, positive, or negative service terminal location on the vehicle.