Stomach (Gastric) Botox - A New Way of Obesity Treatment
What is Stomach Botox?
Stomach Botox is one of the non-surgical obesity treatments applied endoscopically and aims to slow down stomach movements by injecting botulinum toxin to stomach regions at a certain depth. The aim is to create a feeling of satiety and reduce the feeling of hunger.
How Is Stomach Botox Surgery Performed? / Is Non-Surgical Treatment Possible?
Stomach Botox is not a surgery. It is one of the non-surgical treatments for obesity. The procedure is performed under endoscopy. It is performed with the help of an endoscopy device without any incision, which does not require general anesthesia.
Why Is Stomach Botox Done?
Stomach botox is done to get rid of excess weight. The primary mechanism decreases gastric movements and slows the food passage rate from the stomach to the small intestine. Thus, a feeling of satiety is provided, and it helps in weight loss.
Is it a painful and painful procedure?
Pain is not felt during and after the stomach botox procedure.
Who Is Stomach Botox Suitable For?
Stomach Botox can be applied to anyone with excess weight. However, specific criteria are required for this process to be carried out. These are:
- The patient's body mass index should be below 40. The appropriate treatment option for patients with a body mass index of 40 and above is bariatric surgery.
- The patient must be over 16 years old.
- The patient should not be allergic to botulinum toxin.
- The patient should not have muscle nerve disease.
- Those who have stomach ulcers such as gastritis can have this procedure done after treatment.
Is there an Age Limit for Stomach Botox?
Stomach botox can be done to anyone between the ages of 16-65 who meets the appropriate criteria.
Can it be done in pregnant and breastfeeding women?
Stomach botox is not applied to pregnant and lactating women.
Is There a Weight Limit for Stomach Botox?
Stomach Botox can be applied to any patient with a body mass index of 25-40.
To Whom Is Stomach Botox Not Applied?
- Pregnant and lactating patients,
- Patients who are allergic to botulinum toxin,
- Patients with a body mass index over 40,
- Patients with advanced atopic and allergic conditions,
- Patients with serious diseases such as stomach cancer,
- It is not applied to those with muscle nerve disease, such as Myestania Graves.
How Does Stomach Botox Help Losing Weight?
Since the injected Botulinum toxin (Botox) will temporarily paralyze the muscle layer that provides the stomach movements, stomach movements slow down and provide weight loss by creating a feeling of satiety-late hunger.
Is stomach botox effective?
Stomach Botox is very effective if it is injected into the appropriate area of the insufficient stomach amount.
How long does the effect of stomach botox last?
The effective period of stomach botox lasts an average of 5-6 months.
How much weight is lost with stomach botox?
If the procedure is done effectively, weight loss between 15-35 kg can be achieved depending on the patient's age, gender, body mass index, and diet.
How Long Does Stomach Botox Process Take?
The stomach botox procedure takes an average of 20 minutes. The stomach botox procedure is performed under sedation (sleeping) endoscopically by injecting a certain amount of botulinum toxin into the muscle layers in some stomach regions.
Is it necessary to stay in hospital?
It is not necessary to stay in the hospital after the stomach botox procedure.
What is the process before stomach botox?
Before the stomach botox procedure, 6 hours of fasting is required. Gastric protective drugs such as lansoprazole/pantoprazole are started 4-5 days before the procedure. Before the procedure, the patient is examined for anesthesia. Before the procedure, the patient's first meetings with a dietitian and, if necessary, a psychologist is provided.
Are There Any Side Effects / Harms of Stomach Botox?
Botulinum toxin is frequently and safely applied in cosmetic applications. Botox applied to the stomach does not have severe side effects if the patient does not have an allergy or muscle disease.
Will there be permanent damage to the stomach after stomach botox?
If Botox is applied in the appropriate dose to the right stomach area and the appropriate muscle layer, the risk of permanent damage is shallow.
Will I have more bloating with Botox?
Stomach Botox does not affect the working system of the intestines. It does not create an extra negative impact in those with intestinal laziness.
Does Botox distribute throughout the body?
Botulinum toxin acts locally. Since the amount is minimal, it is doubtful to be distributed throughout the body.
What is the Difference Between Gastric Botox and Gastric Balloon?
The purpose of the gastric balloon is to create satiety and provide early satiety. The exact mechanism is effective in Botox. However, no foreign substance is placed in the stomach in the botox process.
What Should Be Considered After Stomach Botox?
- Foods that are small in volume and significant in calories should not be consumed.
- Care should be taken not to consume acidic drinks, sugary syrups, packaged foods.
- Surgeon/dietitian/psychologist controls should not be interrupted after the Botox procedure.
Eating After Stomach Botox?
- You can start eating food after 2 hours.
- Consumption of soda, carbohydrates, syrups, alcohol should be limited. It would help if you consumed the types of food that the nutritionist deems appropriate for you in the required amount.
- Smoking does not have any positive or negative effects on stomach botox. Smoking is not recommended.
- It is not recommended to drink coffee for the first 3 days after the procedure.
- After the procedure, a nutrition list will be prepared for you by your dietitian.